Christmas is the season for indulging in everything delicious and there's no better time to experiment in the kitchen by conjuring up some seasonal homemade treats.
If you love giving a homemade gift at Christmas time, then try Kirstie's delicious festive Florentines- with their shiny colours, these delicious biscuits are ideal as stocking fillers or simply to serve as a post dinner treat.
This recipe is also really quick and easy to make so is ideal for making with the kids over the school holidays. All you need are some cellophane bags and ribbon to create a really professional looking gift.
Crunchy on the edges and deeply chewy in the middle, these Florentines are made even more yummy, thanks to the addition of Nestlé Carnation® Condensed Milk. This magical ingredient helps the Florentines to bind together to provide a rich and irresistible toffee taste.
Log on to http://www.carnation.co.uk to find new delicious recipes every month from Kirstie Allsopp
Makes 12 biscuits
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
25g (1oz) butter
25g (1oz) light brown soft sugar
100g (3½oz) Nestlé Carnation Condensed Milk
2tsp plain flour
150g (5½oz) mixed dried fruit and nuts such as apricots, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, toasted flaked almonds, desiccated coconut etc.
85g (3oz) dark chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, (160C for fan ovens) or Gas Mark 4.
2. Melt the butter and sugar in a non-stick saucepan stirring until combined.
3. Add the condensed milk and heat until just bubbling.
4. Stir in the plain flour and mix until smooth.
5. Stir in the dried fruit and nuts.
6. Place spoonfuls of the mixture onto parchment lined baking sheets and bake for about 12 minutes until turning golden brown at the edges.
7. Leave to cool on the tray.
8. When cool, melt the chocolate and spread a small amount on the flat side of the florentine then drag a fork through the chocolate to make wavy lines.